If you are planning to study in the UK, the most important decision you will have to make is about the university where you will spend the next three years of your life. Choosing the right university can be a much more difficult decision than choosing a degree or dealing with financial issues, as choosing the right university can not only save you thousands of pounds, but also provide you with a plethora of related degrees and courses.
Choosing the right study destination can be a lot trickier, because there are over 160 universities and colleges in the UK and you will have to go through most of them while making a decision. Getting admission in a university in the UK is not a big problem, but you would not like to stick in an awkward situation due to the lack of planning.
You will have to think big while choosing the right university in the UK, the perfect university that matches your preferences when it comes to teaching style, course work, location, tuition fee, transportation and many other factors. Despite the fact that all universities are not the same, the courses, fees, atmosphere, and expenses of the universities varies according to their location.
“Quality Education is not an Issue in the UK”
According to a latest report, more than half of the recognized universities of the United Kingdom are featured in the QS World University Rankings 2020. That means, the quality of education will not be an issue for you while choosing the right universities. All the institutes in the UK have maintained a high quality learning environment for students and that is the reason, the UK is the one of the most famous study destinations in the world.
With hundreds to choose from, making the right choice can be a daunting task, especially for the young students, but with comprehensive research and by following the basic direction, you will be able to identify the right destination for you. There are some important factors to keep in mind when choosing the right university, including the transportation costs of the university, the City and town the university is based, the university culture and social life, the ranking of the university and the impact on your CV.
We have added 2 of the Top Universities in the UK below:
Research about the Course Content
The course content you are going to follow, is one of the fundamental factors in your overall decision. You will have to spend at least the next three years of your life in the university and there are possibilities that you can pursue a professional career in the same field. So, you will have to make a perfect choice, both in terms of course content and the style of study.
Once you select the course you want to study, you can search for the available universities, which offer the course you want to study. Most of the universities in the UK, display information about the course modules and also offer you to communicate with the university representative for further consultation. While doing the research about your course content in university, you need to keep in mind the following important factors.
- Examine the modules covered in each course and point out the most relevant course content to your choice.
- Look for the number of lectures a university offers in each course. More lectures mean more room to learn and groom your skills. Always pick a university with the most number of lectures.
- Assessment criteria of the university is very important. All the major universities will offer you a variety of assessment options including, exams, course work, assignments, quizzes and presentations.
- You will have to take a look at the faculty of the university. Highly expert tutors will give you a better learning environment.
- You should also keep in mind that different universities offer courses with the same title but with different course content.
Along with the academic research, you will have to keep the location of the university quite seriously. University’s surroundings are very important for students. The city or town you are going to choose, will be your destination for the next three years and there are a number of students who left their universities just because of its location.
Some students want to live in a big city where they can enjoy their social life, but there are also many students who prefer a more intimate and isolated environment. In the UK, you will find plenty of options as far as location is concerned. There are many famous universities located in small towns and as well as in big cities.
- Don’t underestimate the importance of the location of your university. If you don’t like your surroundings, then you will not be able to enjoy your study and it will affect your learning.
- If you are a UK citizen then always consider a location close to your home. You can easily go home on vacation, and if you are used to your home, traveling four hundred miles from home would not be a good decision for you.
- If you are a sports lover and want to continue your physical activities with your studies, then you will have to look for the location where you can easily follow your passion.
- You will have to keep in mind that in a big city, the living cost will be relatively high than the small town.
- Always choose a location where you can easily travel through local transport. Many towns in the UK have a very effective public transportation system. It will help you to save money.
University of Your Choice
The UK has a variety of different universities that differ in age, size and students. You can easily find very large universities with over 30,000 students, offering a long list of courses and there are also small universities with few hundred students, offering you a strong sense of community, but provide you less courses to choose from. In the UK, you can also find many specialized universities, which offer highly specialized education in the selected field.
- All the major universities also have their campuses in the small towns, and by choosing these campuses, you can save hundreds of pounds in tuition fee and living cost.
- Choosing a specialized university in a specific field is the best option for you. This way, you will be surrounded by like-minded students and you will get a more focused learning environment.
- Big universities with thousands of students and plenty of courses, will cost you more for tuition fee and other charges, but you will have to pay a relatively low tuition fee in small universities.
- Age of the university is also an important factor to consider.
- Old universities offer more qualitative learning and teaching standards. These universities exert more focus on research based education, but newer universities give you less traditional ways to learn.
Ranking of the universities is a good indicator to understand the performance of universities. You can easily determine different information about universities by analyzing the international ranking of universities. If you want to check the general standing and overall reputation of the university, then university ranking can be a great source of information for that.
When you look at the ranking of universities, you need to figure out the key information from it. For example, if a university has a high ranking at postgraduate level due to its research and publications at postgraduate level, then it doesn’t mean that the university has the same ranking at under-graduate level. You should consider the following key points while consulting the ranking of universities in the UK.
- The “World University Ranking” provides you the global position of the university. If you are looking for a particular university that you don’t find in the top list then it doesn’t mean that the university has low standards.
- The “University Impact Ranking” provides you the insight of the university’s standards for teaching quality, and the reputation.
- You should also consider the national ranking of universities. It gives you a brief understanding of the university’s performance in the country.
- Along with the ranking, you should also consult the student satisfaction score and ratio of faculty members to students of universities.
Resources of interest: BBC University News – Updated Daily.